cat-users - Re: [[cat-users]] cat-test.eduroam.org data and API access

Re: [[cat-users]] cat-test.eduroam.org data and API access

  • From: Tomasz Wolniewicz <twoln AT umk.pl>
  • To: Zenon Mousmoulas <zmousm AT noc.grnet.gr>, cat-users AT lists.geant.org
  • Subject: Re: [[cat-users]] cat-test.eduroam.org data and API access
  • Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2015 15:12:35 +0100

Hi Zenon,
on cat-test you now have two links. One points to "branch", which is
essentially the bug-fix branch under preparation of the next minor
release. The other is "trunk" which has the new features that we are
currently working on. While "branch" is reasonably stable, "trunk" can
give you all sorts of surprises, so be warned.

Your API keys have now been included in both of these.
branch is newer then cat.eduroam.org, but the database is indeed a
snapshot of the production database copied some time ago.

trunk runs on the same data.

In general we cannot guarantee that the database will not be
overwritten. It is not easy to keep the data. For instance, now we have
a different database scheme between branch and trunk, so we must run two
separate instances which will cause problems for the testers, as they
may have to do things twice.

We need the run a big database of IdPs also on cat-test, we had some
performance issues some time ago and need data to test it.
In fact I would find it arguable if it should not be a good idea to
regularly push data from production to cat-test instead of keeping the
old data, as you requested. If we have the current database then all
production admins can test new features on their existing profiles. Of
course such updated would need to be announced, but it could be a good idea.

Cheers and Merry Christmas to Everyone

Tomasz

--
Tomasz Wolniewicz

twoln AT umk.pl
http://www.home.umk.pl/~twoln

Uczelniane Centrum Informatyczne Information&Communication Technology Centre
Uniwersytet Mikolaja Kopernika Nicolaus Copernicus University,
pl. Rapackiego 1, Torun pl. Rapackiego 1, Torun, Poland
tel: +48-56-611-2750 fax: +48-56-622-1850 tel kom.: +48-693-032-576