cat-users - Re: [cat-users] Where to download CAT distribution?

Re: [cat-users] Where to download CAT distribution?

  • From: Stefan Winter <stefan.winter AT restena.lu>
  • To: Ole Frendved Hansen <olef AT dtu.dk>, "cat-users AT geant.net" <cat-users AT geant.net>
  • Subject: Re: [cat-users] Where to download CAT distribution?
  • Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 10:15:15 +0200

Hello,

> One of our universities are considering running CAT on their own
> server. I found the guide for installing
> https://cat.eduroam.org/doc/Configuration/tutorial_Configuration.pkg.html
> but from where do one download the distribution?
>
> Are source files available? Are CAT regarded open source?

The project home page is at:

https://forge.geant.net/forge/display/CAT/Home

and the section "Downloads" has the instructions for anon SVN access.
You can find the released version tarballs at

http://downloads.geant.net/repository/public/Roaming/eduroam%20CAT?artifactId=Roaming

The source is open-source; it's a BSD-like GEANT customised license.

But this doesn't answer the elephant-in-the-room question: why do they
think they need/want to run their own instance?

If there's a feature in CAT missing, then much rather than forking off
their own, I suggest they make a feature request.

If they have a concern about server availability, then they can always
dpwnload the installers for their local support pages. Installing and
maintaining an entire CAT instance with all its multi-tenant features is
rather heavyweight if you use only one tenant on it...

Also, with version 1.2, we will make more ample use of the data from the
official eduroam database, and the features relating to that will be
crippled if their instance doesn't have that access.

Stefan WINTER
Ingenieur de Recherche
de la Recherche
6, rue Richard Coudenhove-Kalergi