cat-users - [cat-users] CentOS 6.6 Linux installer does not honor 'permissions' and 'subject-match' fields

[cat-users] CentOS 6.6 Linux installer does not honor 'permissions' and 'subject-match' fields

  • From: Brian Epstein <bepstein AT ias.edu>
  • To: cat-users AT geant.net
  • Subject: [cat-users] CentOS 6.6 Linux installer does not honor 'permissions' and 'subject-match' fields
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 17:21:07 -0500

Hi,

We've been troubleshooting issues where the installer doesn't work in
CentOS 6.6. A fully updated system as of today seems to not like the
'permissions' and 'subject-match' fields in the python installation
script that is run as part of the tool. Here are the errors we are
seeing in /var/log/messages.

Dec 11 10:39:49 epvostro1710 NetworkManager[12862]: <WARN>
one_property_cb(): Ignoring invalid property 'permissions'

Dec 11 10:39:49 epvostro1710 NetworkManager[12862]: <WARN>
one_property_cb(): Ignoring invalid property 'subject-match'

When the permissions flag is ignored, the installer tries to install
the configuration as if it were system wide. So, the OS pops up the
"Enter root password to continue" prompt and then drops off the file
in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-eduroam.

I believe that when it tries to use NetworkManager to install the
system script, it doesn't apply the subject-match field, thus making
the system configurations not work.

This leads into a very confusing spiral for our users. It seems like
removing the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-eduroam, and the
gconf files for the connection in ${HOME}/.gconf/system/networking
gets the machine back to square one. At that time, the user can
manually config using the ca.pem file dropped off in their
${HOME}/.eduroam directory when they ran the script initially.

I'm starting to dive into the DBUS, NetworkManager, GConf scripting to
figure out what is going on with CentOS 6.6, but figured I would bring
it up here to see if anyone already knew how to fix this.

CentOS 6.6 is running NetworkManager 0.8.1. I see some logic in the
script that treats NetworkManager 0.8 differently from 0.9, but I
don't understand it well enough to know what the difference is.

I'm installing CentOS 7 now to test, but it isn't feasible for us to
roll out CentOS 7 to our users just because of this issue.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
ep

- --
Brian Epstein
<bepstein AT ias.edu>
+1 609-734-8179
Manager, Network and Security Institute for Advanced Study
Key fingerprint = 128A 38F4 4CFA 5EDB 99CE 4734 6117 4C25 0371 C12A