cat-users - [cat-users] Discontinuation of CAT support for WPA/TKIP on eduroam SSID

[cat-users] Discontinuation of CAT support for WPA/TKIP on eduroam SSID

  • From: stefan.winter AT restena.lu
  • To: eduroam AT geant.net, cat-users AT geant.net
  • Subject: [cat-users] Discontinuation of CAT support for WPA/TKIP on eduroam SSID
  • Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 11:22:19 +0100

many of you may realise that CAT installers always produce installers for WPA2/AES and WPA/TKIP on the default "eduroam" SSID.

The reason for that is that, no matter how perfect your own hotspot installation is, your users might roam to a hotspot which still only has WPA/TKIP (let`s call them "retarded" SPs ;-) ) - even though this is against the policy since quite a while!

We are thinking of pushing the envelope a bit, by not supporting such hotspots any more. This will create "hard" failures for users going to such retarded places - and will allow us to get their problem reports and help hunt down these places.

This is not a dictatorial decision - we`ve actually been actively asked by IdPs who do not want us to be graceful any more.

Our current plan is to turn off WPA/KTIP profiles on the eduroam SSID by 31 December 2013, i.e. all installers which will be downloaded from 2014 on will not configure WPA/TKIP any more. This will be on Windows and Linux installers, but not on Apple (Apple profiles mix WPA and WPA2, and you can`t selectively turn off one of them).

If you have concerns with this course of action, please let us know very soon, and with a sound argument :-)

  • [cat-users] Discontinuation of CAT support for WPA/TKIP on eduroam SSID, stefan . winter, 10/30/2013