cat-users - Re: [cat-users] iOS 7 features: Hotspot 2.0

Re: [cat-users] iOS 7 features: Hotspot 2.0

  • From: Scott Armitage <S.P.Armitage AT lboro.ac.uk>
  • To: Stefan Winter <stefan.winter AT restena.lu>
  • Cc: "cat-users AT geant.net" <cat-users AT geant.net>
  • Subject: Re: [cat-users] iOS 7 features: Hotspot 2.0
  • Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 07:56:05 +0100

On 19 Sep 2013, at 07:17, Stefan Winter
<stefan.winter AT restena.lu>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Apple knows how to time things! Simultaneously with the release of iOS 7
> itself, the reference documentation for configuration profiles was
> updated with the new configruation parameters supported by iOS 7+:
>
> https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/featuredarticles/iPhoneConfigurationProfileRef/Introduction/Introduction.html

I've been waiting for this information. :-) Now to find someone with an
iPhone who will test for me.

> One of the gems for CAT is the support of Hotspot 2.0 in the WiFi payload.
>
> The changes are a bit too significant for my taste to justify hot-adding
> this in 1.0.x; so I'm experimenting with the new stuff in trunk, to
> become 1.1.
>
> My idea is to
>
> - set RoamingConsortiumOIs to the eduroam OID
> - set DomainName to the realm as configured in the profile (omit the key
> if that piece of information was not configured)
> - set DisplayedOperatorName to the (localised) institution name as
> configured

Sounds good.

> I don't know what to think of
>
> - IsHotspot. "If true, the network is treated as a hotspot." What would
> "treatment" as a hotspot mean? The semantics of this is less than
> perfectly clear to me.

:-S

> - ServiceProviderRoamingEnabled: "If true, allows connection to roaming
> service providers." Sounds like we should set it, but again what
> actually happens if set/unset, and what the consequences are, I don't know.

I would set it, as I imagine if it isn't set the device won't join networks
which don't advertise it's domain. However, it would be wise to test what
happens when it isn't set.

> If someone has some in-depth knowledge of these items, please let the
> list know - the Apple Configurator app was not updated yet in any case!
>
> A question for the inst admins out there: would you like to be able to
> add your own consortium OIs in addition to the eduroam one? I wonder if
> there are good use cases for that. It's easy to implement, but I don't
> like feature/option bloat where avoidable.

At this time probably not, but as Hotspot 2.0 becomes more ubiquitous case
may emerge.

Regards

Scott