cat-announce - [cat-announce] Changes for Windows XP, Vista and 7 with EAP-TTLS

cat-announce AT lists.geant.org

Subject: annoucements about the service and software of CAT

[cat-announce] Changes for Windows XP, Vista and 7 with EAP-TTLS

  • From: annoucements about the service and software of CAT <cat-announce AT geant.net>
  • To: "cat-users AT geant.net" <cat-users AT geant.net>, cat-announce AT geant.net
  • Subject: [cat-announce] Changes for Windows XP, Vista and 7 with EAP-TTLS
  • Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2015 13:40:46 +0200

Hello,

we were recently made aware that we are in an unclear legal situation
with our use of SecureW2 EAP Suite version 1.1.3 (GPL) as a part of
eduroam CAT. SecureW2 EAP Suite 1.1.3 is a helper program which ships
inside CAT installers only under specific circumstances.

As a consequence, we will stop shipping that helper program; which means
we need to discontinue support for certain constellations of OS / EAP
types in the near future.

** For identity providers which list PEAP as a supported EAP type inside
CAT, there is no impact. This is the majority of IdPs (ca. 70%). **

For Identity Providers which have TTLS as their only supported EAP type,
the changes are:

* Support for Windows XP needs to be discontinued entirely (which is in
line with Microsoft's own EOL policy)
* Support for EAP-TTLS on Windows Vista needs to be discontinued
* Support for EAP-TTLS on Windows 7 needs to be discontinued

Note that Microsoft's current operating system, Windows 8 / 8.1, is not
affected at all and TTLS remains available on that platform - and
according to our current knowledge, so will Windows 10. Also note that
there is no change at all for the non-Microsoft operating systems.

There is an FAQ article on this issue on the eduroam wiki, see
https://wiki.terena.org/x/CoK7Ag .

We will execute these changes on the cat.eduroam.org deployment of CAT
on Thursday, 16 Apr 2015, around 0800 CEST. The source code of CAT has
been updated with a version 1.0.5 already; that version is free of
SecureW2 EAP Suite 1.1.3.

We are aware that particularly the Windows 7 TTLS support is popular in
eduroam CAT. Please rest assured that we are already working on
alternatives and are confident to have a substitute for SecureW2 EAP
Suite 1.1.3 in place soon.

  • [cat-announce] Changes for Windows XP, Vista and 7 with EAP-TTLS, annoucements about the service and software of CAT, 04/13/2015